Tom Ramcigam (magicmarmot) wrote,
Tom Ramcigam

Driving on the way in to work today, I heard a weird sound coming from my heater, like something had fallen into the fan. I flipped the switch to different speeds but the sound continued the same, which I thought was weird. Then it faded. Car next to me beeped. Then I noticed the "check gauges" red light on my dashboard. My coolant temperature was on H, and it wasn't going down. I looked in the rear view mirror to see a huge plume of witish steam trailing behind me.


I pulled over at the next exit, and when I stopped, the 'Sploder was enveloped in a cloud of coolant steam.

I got out and opened the hood, figuring that the gasket replacement had somehow screwed the pooch and I was pretty much dead in the water. I didn't have my cell phone with me to call for help or anything, and I didn't have any tools with me...

Wait a minute, yes I did. I hadn't taken the socket set out of the back yet. Couldn't hurt to look and try and figure out where the coolant leak was. Wow, there was a lot of coolant all over the front of the engine... crap, that probably meant the water pump, which would be a serious PITA to replace.

Then I noticed the upper radiator hose. It wasn't attached to the radiator.


In the late-night hours of putting the engine back together, neither one of us had checked whether we tightened the hose clamp. As the cooling system pressurized, it blew the hose off the nozzle. And because of the need to refill the coolant system after the work, I still had a couple of gallons of coolant mixed and ready to go in the back seat. I effectively managed to dump about 2-1/2 gallons of coolant onto my hot engine at highway speeds; it must have looked spectacular.

After figuring this out, It took maybe ten minutes to fix and get back on the road, maybe 20 minutes in all. I was a little late for work, but the meeting started late anyway, so no buffalo off my grille. I got a couple more gallons of pre-mix coolant over lunch, and I'll have to keep an eye on the reservoir and all, but I'm still trying to figure out the serendipitous nature of this: had we not done the work, I wouldn't have had either the tools or the coolant in the 'sploder, but neither would the coolant hose have been loose in the first place.

Maybe it's just a continuation of the weirdness from yesterday. After finding the dumpsterbag gone, I did a search around for it in the neighborhood, and as part of that I managed to fall into a hole and do bad things to the toe that I injured previously-- enough that I'm limping like a mofo today. It also looks like somebody used one of my wheelbarrows but put it back in a slightly different place. I'm figuring it may have been the NewRogerNeighbor, as they seem to be doing some remodeling work (there was banging going on at 2:45 this morning).

And oh yeah, Mom called last night and invited herself down over Christmas to "help me clean".
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment