Tom Ramcigam (magicmarmot) wrote,
Tom Ramcigam
magicmarmot

movie magic

Last weekend, we were shooting some of the effects and I had rigged a couple of blood stunts. This is a prosthetic I made from silicone-- first try with this particular process.

Applying prosthetic adhesive to the actress's (dramatekcv) neck. The prosthetic adhesive is normally stronger than spirit gum, but with silicone, it doesn't want to stick as well. There is an adhesive made specifically for silicone and I'll have to try that next.


First "set" of the appliance. Yes, it looks cheesy. You can see the end of the blood tube on the left side of the scar. I had to whip this out quick.


Gluing down the bleeding edge. The blood tube runs underneath this part, and proved to be a righteous PITA.


Trying to get the feathered edges of the appliance to lay flat. Unfortunately the edges kept coming unglued with neck motion; the reality is that I made it too stiff. Better shot on the blood tube.


Here's a snap of the appliance on and in place and in the preliminary lighting. If you look closely, you can see the edge of the appliance on her neck. I tried to blend the edges in place, but there's only so much I can do with what I have, and the edges were coming unglued just from moving her head around.


In the end, it doesn't matter. The right lighting and camera angles, and it ends up looking a whole lot better than it has any right to be.

I learned a lot about working with silicone this time 'round:

1.) Less pigment needed. The flesh tone was a good match though.
2.) "Fill" silicone needs to be a lot more flexible; 50% additional oil is a recommend.
3.) Thinner over thicker.
4.) Better makeup needed.
Tags: effects, filmmaking
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments