May 22nd, 2007


(no subject)

Big brainful meeting today, hashing out the (hopefully) last of the user interface and fuctionality requirements. Now all I have to do is gather together my scribbled notes for all of the design changes that happened through the meeting, decipher them, put them in some sort of reasonable order, create GUI mockup screens, write up a document, and send it to everyone who was in the meeting for agreement. That should be by the end of the day.

By the end of the week, I need to do:

  • create the formal requirements document

  • the preliminary design doc

  • a peer review for one of the other guys I work with

  • my own performance review

  • finishing training on the new timesheet tracking system.

Gonna be a busy week.
  • Current Mood
    busy busy
  • Tags

(no subject)

Got some cranky on today at work.

After I've spent many days working on this feature, mocking up the user interface, after finally getting the agreement from the higher-ups, GUI guy came up with a completely different interface that I think is horrendously complex. Never mind that the reason that I took the initiative on this is because he's supposed to be busy finishing up the remaining work on the new release that we have to start validating next week.

Thing is, I am maybe treading on his toes since he's GUI guy, and he feels threatened. We have a staff meeting tomorrow, so I'm pretty sure we have to hash it out then.

(no subject)

Apologies to any who have tried to call me in the past several days. I had a short in my phone line caused by an interesting combination of some sort of animal pee, dust, and moisture that was just enough to wildly spark whenever the phone would try and ring, and stay ionized long enough to fool the phone company into thinking it had connected, then lose the ionization in just over 2 seconds. It's one of the more freakish circumstances I've ever run into where the combination of stuff was just right to make it fail for incoming calls only, but outgoing calls were fine, and the only time there was a failure was on an incoming ring.

Technically, it makes sense: the normal unloaded phone line voltage is 48 volts DC, and the ring signal is a 20 Hz sine wave at 105 volts superimposed on top of that. That would actually peak out at 153 volts, which was apparently enough to kick it over the knee point. I actually watched it spark.

Fixed now. Amused.