Went to Casa de Bruno last night to make "tent poles" for the set. The idea is that the poles are actually logs that are about four inches in diameter and ten feet high (it's a big tent), but rather than trying to find and wrangle actual logs, I decided that making them out of something light and maneuverable was probably a better idea.
So there was logmaking. Which involved cans of spray foam, plastic gloves, and a lot of "eww, gross!". Plus the discovery that acetone eats through vinyl gloves, and the additional discovery that spray foam sticks to your skin in a way that makes my old high-school girlfriend look like an aloof ice queen.
Then we went in and looked at how to build the rest of the set. And looked at some other problems. And really solved them by Tony calling a delay in the shooting schedule because it was obviously going to take more time to get this built than first glance.
It also meant some changes to the script. Not really substantial changes to the story, but making it more manageable to shoot. It's a good change. But we also have a really tight shooting schedule, and that makes me nervous.
And it's a feature.
It started out as a short film. It isn't anymore.
Dear God, we're shooting a feature.
Okay, house stuff:
I had to call the building inspector to take a look to determine whether I can get an extension on the porch permit. He's a bit cranky that I haven't done more work in the ten months that I've had the permit; I explained to him that I was in a bad situation with the ownership of the house and had been in Iowa untuil just recently.
My guess is that I won't get the extension, and he'll force me to get a contractor, which I can't afford. I have no idea what I will do in that case. I suppose that I'll have to ask about what options are available.
Between the house and the tax frou-frou, I am financially hosed.
Downside of this is that the inspector is going to the house, and can find a number of other violations that need to be fixed, and can pretty much force the repairs through court order. Which I can't afford, at least on the timeline that would be required.
The two options that I can see right now are:
1.) Attempted refinancing
Okay, this is *possible*, but my credit rating ain't the most stellar. And the house title is still screwed up, which makes things difficult. Still, I could probably refi and get enough to hire a contractor to get the work done.
2.) Ug buys ugly houses
Homevestors. Sell the house as-is, which would probably end up at a loss rather than a gain.
Okay. I know that getting out of that house would probably be good for my mental health, but I'd really like to do it in such a way that it doesn't cost me what equity I have already built up.
Okay, I'm looking at properties.
Anyone want to start an artist's commune with me?
Kinda boring, but a little land.
Needs work, but not as much as the Big Broken Box™.
Anybody have any good leads on refinancing or maybe a real estate guru?